Charlotte to host 2017 All-Star Game

Credit: Office of the Governor

Credit: Office of the Governor

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Governor Pat McCrory was home in the Queen City this morning to rub elbows with basketball royalty.  He joined Hornets owner Michael Jordan to announce that Charlotte will host the 2017 NBA All-Star Game.

“We are thrilled to showcase the City of Charlotte and the state of North Carolina on a global stage and we welcome the NBA and its fans,” said McCrory.

mccroryjordanMcCrory and Jordan were joined by Hornets President Fred Whitfield and NBA Commissioner Adam Silver for the announcement.  Charlotte was chosen after making a bid last August for the event.  The 20,000 seat Hornets arena was approved for a $33 million facelift, courtesy of the city of Charlotte last year.  Supporters say it was a critical investment to host large, lucrative events like this one.

“Economic growth and development takes many forms,” said Commerce Secretary John E. Skvarla, III. “Anytime the state of North Carolina is a beneficiary of an event this significant, it is a big win for every citizen of our great state.”

Downtown Charlotte has about 5,000 hotel rooms and area hotels say they are already being flooded with calls just hours after the formal announcement.

“We expect to see fairly strong revenue for this event and residual benefits,” said David Montgomery, The Westin’s Director of Sales and Marketing. “But it’s also great exposure for the city.  It’s an opportunity for hotels to build corporate partnerships to make sure other conventions come here.”

The All-Star Weekend starts February 19, 2017 and will include Fan Fest and a number of other activities.